- This is a funny piece that Dan Katz of Barstool Sports did covering the 2016 NFL Draft. Big Cat went around speaking to football fans in Chicago asking them what they thought about their teams coaches and players. This is a fun interactive piece that doesn’t just focus on the seriousness of drafting players but also lets him speak to fans about funny things going on in the league. It’s clever because it allows him to get out and interact with fans in a fun way. This is a reason many like Big Cat because he isn’t serious, he always takes things in a lighter note. I enjoyed this video because of the funny humor he uses in it.
2. This is a screenshot from Big Cat’s twitter that is making fun of the Clevland Browns. The Browns have only won four games total in the last two seasons. They will need good draft picks this year to have any sort of chance to win some games. Big Cat saying them making decent picks for once could mean we are in an alternate world. Again this is an example of the humor Big Cat uses. He is a guy that uses humor and making fun of teams and players to get the attention of fans.
3. Another example from Big Cat’s twitter. This is one where he is interacting with his followers. Controversy over draft picks happens frequently and this is an example of him interacting with followers who have a different opinion than him. Despite the differences, I think interacting with followers is huge. Showing them you care enough to tweet back and take the time to discuss things is important. More people are willing to follow you if you keep up to date and are interactive on your twitter account.
4. Another type of media used by Big Cat is his own Instagram page and also the Barstool Sports Instagram page. This is from Barstool Sports which is mostly full of videos. The videos are usually all funny or memes. Some are sports related that involve something funny or making fun of something. Most of the videos seem to be random and are just funny things that he posts that people do or he sees.
5. Here is another example of Big Cat’s multimedia this is a blog post on their website where he analyzes the decision of the Chicago Bulls to make changes in management in the front office. Big Cat gives insight and shares his opinion and how he feels about the decision they have made. It’s important to share your views with fans as well as reporting the facts. Sharing your insight gives them something to relate to and connect with you on.
6. Big Cat also has a website that he shares the Barstool Sports podcast, “Pardon My Take,” the podcast features episodes interviewing sports players, coaches and overall analysis of individual games and players. I think this is interesting because the videos are funny but have good content. It’s another medium that reaches out to their fans allowing them another place to get their sports news and opinions of their favorite commentators.
7. Big Cat and Barstool also have their own FaceBook page. The page has pictures, videos and links. They share links from the podcast and other forms of their media. This is a good way to reach other groups of people. FaceBook seems to now be used by older generations so using this to share all their work could reach an audience that might not be able to access it in other ways.
8. Not only does Barstool Sports have their own website, they also have their own store. The store sells clothing and apparel. This is a good way to brand yourself because it allows you to get your name out there besides just work. Also it broadens your audience and keeps reaching out to as many people as possible.
9. This Barstool Sports is an App that you can get from the App store that has many different features. There is a section that allows you to pick a city and give you personalized content based on your interests. The app also has copied work from all the other writers for the site. The app is a collection of all the different works from all their forms of media. It’s a good way to get all their work in one place making it easy for fans to access it.
10. This is a collection of Barstool Sport’s Podcast, “Pardon My Take.” Putting this on iTunes allows their fans to not only watch their podcasts from their website but allows them to take it with them on the go. Fans can sit and listen to the podcast at anytime on their phone just as they would with music. This is a great way to get themselves out there more and is easy and convenient.
Overall analysis: Overall, I think Dan “Big Cat” Katz does a great job of connecting himself and his work to his viewers. His several different forms of media use is important so he can reach out to all his fans. The more connected you are, the more you get yourself out there. Having a website, Facebook, Twitter, App, merchandise store, blog, and podcast are several ways for fans to check out your work. The more ways you are able to reach an audience and continue to build your career, the more people able to view your work. Also, Big Cat has many ways his fans can reach him, which I believe is very important. The clothing line for Barstool was one of the more interesting things I found. I say this because typically, journalists have collections of their work, but instead they also have merchandise to get their brand name out there.
I think having a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are all very important because those three sites are all different forms of media. Twitter can be used to share things and is mostly used by the younger generation, whereas Facebook is more commonly used by older generations. Instagram is solely for pictures and videos. All of these forms of media are different in their own way and having your work on each is a good way to share the variety of your work.
Unlike most multimedia journalists I have seen, Big Cat has a sense of humor in his work. A lot of the work he does involves funny commentary, making fun of or doing funny videos on topics he is discussing. He does do a very good job of interacting with his followers. For example, when Big Cat makes a tweet, fans will respond to him and more often then not, he will respond as soon as possible. This can make them feel more connected and interested in what he does. Although it is important to be serious in your work, having a sense of humor helps as more viewers can appreciate the jokes while also getting the facts.
Big Cat also discusses many different sports. Instead of keeping to just one to focus on, he covers many of the major sports, discussing the famous athletes and keeping up with current events. With the NFL draft last week, Big Cat posted several tweets and made podcasts and videos talking about the choices each team was making. He does a lot of working making sure to cover basketball, football, baseball and many other sports. This is another reason I think his work is good because he is attracting to such a big audience. Personally, I only watch football, but I enjoy being able to see his interesting work with all the other sports.
Barstool is a great place to get a variety of sports news. Whether it be videos, pictures, blogs, clothes, or the other aspects of multimedia journalism, Big Cat and Barstool Sports so far have many different types of media to share with their viewers. I think he’s a great multimedia journalist because he knows and understands how important it is to have his work out there to build his fan base.