If you are reading this, congratulations: you are probably the only person who found my (so far) under the radar twitter account. I will make sure to give you a special shoutout when I win my first Pulitzer Prize.
Now that I have your attention, let me give you a sneak peak of what to expect from my blog and myself as a writer, aspiring journalist, and as my twitter bio states “a permanent passenger on the hot mess express”:
Through this blog, I plan on exploring the most unique part of Eastern Illinois University: the social life. Based on the experiences my friends, family members, and peers have shared with me about their college days, it’s safe to say that Eastern is not like any other school. Stuck in what I claim to be the “armpit” of Illinois, outsiders do not see much opportunity for fun or sanity. My goal is to break through the surface for outsiders, and even locals or students, who are not aware of all the opportunities and secret treasures this town has for a more than satisfying social life.
If life was perfect, I would be making this first post about #TGIF to kick off the weekend. Today, we find ourselves at the dreadful middle of the week marker: Wednesday. It’s not far away enough from Monday and it’s still too far from Friday.
But you know what they say: there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. And at the end of that tunnel, there is a wine glass calling your name.
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Only in darkness can you see the stars.” And those stars on a day like today spell out “Wine Wednesday.”
Here are my tips to help you let loose and forget that it’s only Wednesday:
- Once you’re out of class, make your way to Aldi. This grocery store making its way to Charleston is arguably as legendary as sliced bread. Once you’re there, pick up as many bottles of Winking Owl Wine you need…or can carry. Barefoot is normally the go to for a sweet moscato fix, but Winking Owl is only…drum roll please…THREE DOLLARS A BOTTLE. It’s perfect for your pocket and my favorite sport: balling on a budget.
- Wine, check. Now get back to your humble abode. Find the coziest pair of fuzzy socks, those sweatpants you have been wearing for the past 6 days, and call up your gal pals. This is a day for celebration, comfort, and much needed girl time.
- Which leads me step three: blow up your groupchat with the details of your #WineWednesday celebration. BYOG (bring your own glass…or chalice…or bowl. Hey, it’s been a long week- I understand).
- Now that the gang is all here- and hopefully in the appropriate attire- you have to be the hostess with the mostess. Whether it’s a simple card game or Cards Against Humanity, entertain your guests while you all wine and whine. Here is a list of a few of my own personal favorite card games:
- Pass out by 9:30 p.m. If your roomie truly cares about you, she has already set out a bottle of water and aspirin next to your bed for your breakfast in the morning.